Company: Gannett Co. Inc.
Location: Great Falls
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and
digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed
to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the
national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions
with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local
media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a
wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more
than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital
marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and
WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and
runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY
To connect with us, visit .
Great Falls Tribune/greatfallstribune.com, in Great Falls, Montana,
part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking to hire a full-time
reporter to cover education in Great Falls, Montana.
The reporter will report on how the Great Falls school system is
providing for its students and educators through community
outreach, source building, monitoring Great Falls Public Schools
response to issues/crises and tracking the efficiency and
effectiveness of the school system.
Flexibility is key for this position. The reporter will be expected
to create both quick turn-around on the news of the day, as well as
watchdog enterprise reporting. The enterprise reporting will focus
on Great Falls Public Schools/government accountability and
solutions reporting based on issues and concerns from
We put an emphasis on digital, with reporters working with editors
to shape the best way to tell individual stories, from text to
audio to video to Q&A or other alternative formats. The
successful candidate must have a passion for telling stories
quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, and always with
Great Falls is in the center of Montana, located east of the Rocky
Mountain Front and west of the Little Belts Mountains and Little
Snowy Mountains, with the Missouri River flowing through the center
of the city. Great Falls is in the heart of prime bird and big game
hunting access, Blue Ribbon trout fishing, downhill skiing, hiking,
canoeing and kayaking and other water-based recreation access.
Glacier National Park is a two-and-a-half-hour trip to the north
and Yellowstone National Park is a three-hour drive to the south.
The Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex is 60 miles west of Great
Falls, offering unique opportunities for outdoor recreationists.
Home to Malmstrom Air Force Base, Great Falls has a population of
65,000 and is the hub for northcentral Montana's agriculture-based
rural communities for retail shopping and medical care.
* Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via
stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods
available to reach our audience.
* Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat
* Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key
players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build
* Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key
audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and
social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and
* Engage on social media with sources and audience.
* Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on
social platforms and alternate storyforms.
* Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and
fascinating stories important to our audiences in addition to
pursue enterprise/investigative work to uncover stories that no one
else is reporting.
* Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Minimum of 2 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
* Strong command of AP grammar and style.
* Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content
that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
* Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will
work well with audiences on social platforms.
* A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
* Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook,
Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote
* Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
* Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the
digital first mission.
* Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the
* This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable
transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by
* Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment
background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug
screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role.
When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what
you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that
includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've
produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in
your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single
document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will
ensure that your application receives the highest
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a
drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will
consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color,
national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance,
sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities,
disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran
* Job Family News
* Job Function Consumer
* Pay Type Hourly
* Required Education Equivalent Experience
* Great Falls, MT, USA
Keywords: Gannett Co. Inc., Great Falls , Education Reporter, Other , Great Falls, Montana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!